On August 31 we will close the books on the 2011-12 Eliza Broadus Offering. It has been a good year, exceeding the 2010-11 offering by over $70,000. Our total to date is $1,140,896.64. Our highest EBO ever was 2009-10 when $1,268,410.32 was given. That year our offering total included an estate gift of of $121,550. I point this out as a reminder that it makes a great impact when we include the Lord’s work in the way our assets are distributed. Thank you Kentucky Baptists for your faithful giving this year.
The 2011-12 offering included a $500 grant to all 70 Kentucky Baptist Associations. The ministries funded are exciting. In many cases EBO grants were added to funds provided by the association, making even more possible. Here are just a few of the reports:
- Nelson Associational spent the funds on several community events to promote a new church plant.
- Liberty Association purchase a Disaster Relief Laundry Unit.
- Boone’s Creek Association bought 150 Bibles to give children who attended camp.
- Henry County Association used the funds for a county-wide direct mailing about upcoming Vacation Bible School programs in an effort to be sure that every household knew about VBS opportunities.
- Bell Association used their grant for food and home repair ministries.
- Ohio Valley Association hosted a county-wide prayer conference with Jennifer Kennedy Dean as guest speaker.
- Bracken Association used their EBO grant to host an evangelistic block party (utilizing the Block Party Trailer from Warren Association, purchased several years ago utilizing EBO funds).
- Ten Mile Association provided Bibles for Kentucky Raceway Ministry.
- White’s Run Association reported 11 professions of faith following their “Truth Jubilee” evangelistic event.
- Anderson Association used their $500 for Kentucky Changers.
- New River McCreary Baptist Association hosted a Gospel Singing Event as a way to introduce their community to the new Appalachian Ministry Center.
Our 2012 state missions theme is Bold Hope and the offering year begins on September 1. This year’s materials feature eight ministries which give hope to people who desperately need to know the hope we have in Christ. You can read about these ministries in the State Missions Special Edition which will be included as an insert to the Western Recorder on September 4. Use it as a guide to pray for missions in Kentucky. Let the stories inspire your giving to the Eliza Broadus Offering.
A Bold Hope Promotional Booklet and DVD was sent to pastors and WMU directors this summer. Orders for posters, prayer guides, and offering envelopes were mailed in August. If your church needs any of the state missions materials, please email: [email protected]. The DVD includes eight videos as well as print materials such as the Master Article, teaching plans, and promotional ideas. All materials are also posted on our web site. For more information go to: www.kywmu.org/ebo.